Monday 15 November 2010

SAN DIEGO COMIC CON COMICS #2


San Diego Comic Con Comics #2
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics
Published: August 1993

Link to my copy on Ebay


Okay, first things first. I didn't actually attend the 1993 San Diego Comic-Con. In fact, I've never attended any of the San Diego Comic-Cons. I actually came across this little beauty while I was working in a comics store. I don't recall how much I paid for it, but I do know that whatever it was, it was an absolute bargain.

The truth is I didn't realise exactly what it was when I bought it, and neither evidently did my boss at the time, hence me picking it up for a fraction of what it was truly worth.

All I saw was that a) it was Dark Horse, who have always put out some extremely underrated comics, b) it featured the talents of a plethora of names which basically comprised the initial roster of Dark Horse's 'Legends' imprint (Frank Miller, Arthur Adams, John Byrne, Mike Mignola, Paul Chadwick, etc, etc,. With a lineup like that, you can hardly go wrong, can you?) of whom I was a keen fan.

Finally, and most sadly we have c) it was from the San Diego Comic-Con, the Mecca of all comic book conventions. Just like the guy who can't afford a Ferrari instead consoles himself with perhaps a Ferrari keyring or baseball cap, or the man who can't get laid by Playboy Playmates instead makes do with photographs of them, I saw this book as my chance to reach out and touch a little bit of 'the magic' of what is arguably the biggest event in the comic book calendar. Indeed, in the ensuing 15 plus years, it could be said that the SDCC has become the most important event in the pop culture calendar.

Thus it's kind of fitting that such a book should contain some highly notable pop culture milestones within it, as I shall now explain:

You've got Frank Miller's Sin City short 'The Customer Is Always Right'. It's a three page masterpiece of storytelling...if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd want all three pieces of original art hanging on my wall as a tryptich. It's one of those stories that just straight out slaps you in the face with just how good it is.
It's not like we didn't already know Miller was good, but to be this good in the space of three pages is frankly sickening. I don't smoke, never have, never will, but if I'd have banged out something as good as this, I think I might have afforded myself a post-coital cigarette afterwards.

Suffice to say, it's the same story that Robert Rodriguez shot on spec to convince Miller that not only was a live-action Sin City movie feasible, but that Rodriguez was the man to do it. I think 'the short' -whether it be a short film, short story, or short comic- is the hardest thing to pull off. In theory, it should be less work than a full-length version, but in practice it's often so much harder.
Miller makes it look like child's play. Easily the best thing in the book in my opinion, and given that the rest of the book is made up of contributions from a veritable Who's Who of comics, that's high praise indeed, but totally merited at the same time.

You've also got the first appearance of Arthur Adams' "Monkeyman & O'Brien". I'll own up...I LOVE Adams' stuff. I've even got the Gumby and Pokey comics he did for Comico (yes, I'm that sad). It's just a goddamn shame he seemed to be incapable of putting out a consistent body of work. If he could have found the quantity to match his quality, I truly think he'd have been eating the Jim Lee's and Todd McFarlane's of the world for breakfast. Alas, it was not to be.
Still, anything involving Amazonian women and sentient super-apes has got to be fun, and Monkeyman & O'Brien don't disappoint, but when you draw like Arthur Adams draws, the comic could be about anything and still look good.

Speaking of brilliant-yet-maddeningly-unproductive artists, Geof Darrow throws in one of his trademark hyper-ctechnical contributions. If you don't own a copy of 'Hard Boiled', his collaboration with Frank Miller, then I suggest you go out and buy it now...I won't be selling my copy. There's a perverse 'Where's Waldo?' quality afforded by the insane amount of detail he is somehow able to squeeze into a shot. This time it's a panoramic pin-up of The Big Guy and Rusty The Boy Robot. Y'know, I think I might still have an action figure of that dynamic duo lurking about somewhere...if I find it, I might put it up for sale too. I'm even more over action figures than I ever will be with comics...just too much fiddly dusting and stuff!

There's pin-ups from the likes of Matt Wagner (Grendel), James O'Barr (of 'The Crow' fame) and Mike 'Madman' Allred. Way-out strips from Rick Geary and Mad Magazine Alumnus Don Martin, as well as stories from John Byrne, Paul Chadwick and Dave Gibbons. Basically, it's like an issue of Dark Horse Presents, only on steroids. Lots of steroids.

You know how anthology books tend to have one story by a really hot creator to hook readers in and expose them to two or three less well known/artistically accomplished creators? Well, that theory clearly went straight out the window here...it's simply a case of 'All Killer, No Filler!'.

Of course, I'm saving the best for last...there's a reason this comic is so highly sought after (other than the relative scarcity of it compared to most commercially available comics) and that's because it features the first ever appearance of Mike Mignola's HELLBOY!

It's very odd holding the book in my hands and looking through it inbetween writing this review, knowing that in a few short days I'm going to go from being someone who has San Diego Comic Con Comics #2 to someone who had San Diego Comic Con Comics #2.
It's not often you get own something this collectable, and I'd say it's most likely the most important/valuable comic I own (I could be wrong, but I doubt it), which is why it had to be the first one to go.
It's funny how things change. Back in the day, I always thought Mignola's abstract style was overly simplistic, until one day I sat down and tried to ape it. I guess I developed a grudging respect for him, and also would say my tastes changed in comics as I got a little older. What can I tell you...Power Pack just wasn't cutting it anymore.
With Hellboy, it's as if Mignola had found his dream project, which is hardly surprising as he created it. It seems the old adage of 'Write what you know applies equally to people who draw stuff as well.

It's a neat little tale, running Miller a close second, and the ending is particularly cool...it's a shame they haven't put it in one of the movies yet.

Anyway, I've read it through for the last time now. Watching the Arthur Adams strip segue into Miller's story, I know I'm going to regret letting this one go, but this is also going to be the leap of faith which will allow me to prove to myself that I can get rid of all of those comics I just don't have time to read anymore.

Adieu, San Diego Comic Con Comics #2, Adieu.

(Postscript: I've just 'pushed the button' on Ebay. The Auction is now live, and the metaphorical ball is duly rolling on my project. I have set into motion the inevitable chain of events which will see the systematic piece-by-piece raping and pillaging of my comic book collection. May God have mercy upon my soul, and all that jazz. Right now I feel alive, and full of optimism, but I dare say this will transmogrify into seller's remorse sometime in the next few days, even more so when I have to post the poor little bugger off. We shall see...one thing that is for sure is that I am soon destined to be the ex-owner of San Diego Comic Con Comics #2 in the very near future!)

No comments:

Post a Comment